Dave Morris began recreational solo boating over 25 years ago as a child on a small day-sailer. His first professional crew position was in 1995. Morris Marine, Inc. was founded in 2000 when Dave became a full-time surveyor. Below is a summary of his qualifications:
- Damage surveys - pleasure and commercial boats up to 120'
- Pre-purchase / Condition and value surveys
• Assistant surveyor on mortor yachts up to 165'
• Lead surveyor on motor yachts up to 147'
- Flag state compliance and safety surveys on motor yachts up to 184'
- Security surveys for compliance with the ISPS (International Ship and Port Facility Security) code on motor yachts up to 206'
Marine Consulting Experience
- Company Security Officer for a fleet of four motor yachts over 500 gross tons
• conduct Ship Security Assessments in accordance with SOLAS Chapter XI
• conduct onboard security surveys
• train crew for security duties
• responsible for the development of the Ship Security Plan and approval
of the plan by the flag state surveyor or classification society surveyor
• research and provide intelligence reports to Ship Security Officers
- Assist yachts prepare for and undergo classification society surveys
- Assist yachts comply with the MCA Safety Code of Practice for Large Commercial Yachts
- Specification writing for new construction
- Project manager for refits
- Assist in the development and implementation of ISM (International Safety Management) systems and conduct internal audits onboard yachts and for the shore office
- Develop customized SOLAS safety training manuals for yacht crews
- Assist with the development and production of safety training movies for charter guests
- Build engineer (owner’s representative) for 120’ fiberglass motor yacht
On The Water Experience
Dave’s knowledge of onboard systems and a boat’s performance characteristics is based upon not only formal education, but practical experience on the water.
Away from the Water - Industrial Experience
Systems Engineer for air compressed air systems up to 2,000 Hp. Designed mechanical rooms including equipment layout, ventilation, piping schematic and oily water disposal. Sub-contracted mechanical contractors and supervised equipment and piping installation. Established preventative maintenance contracts and assisted Ingersoll-Rand technicians in service troubleshooting. Established and managed dealers for 2 Hp to 50 Hp products.
Torrington Bearing Company
College Internship - in engineering design. Designed process water-cooling system.
Atlanta Gas & Light Company
College Summer Internship in corrosion analysis. Inspected cathodic protection of piping systems and wrote work orders where zinc anodes were inadequate.
Education & Training
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering from Clemson University. Dean’s list, honor roll in college of engineering.
- Completed portions of the Yacht Design Lite program at Westlawn Institute of Marine Technology.
- STCW 95 training:
• Basic fire fighting
• Sea survival
• Personal safety and responsibility
• Basic first aid
• Advanced shipboard fire fighting
• Advanced maritime first aid
- Detroit Diesel series 2000 training for owners and captains
- MAN diesel engine seminar for owners and captains
- Maritime security and vessel defense training
- ISPS (International Ship and Port Facility Security) ship and company security officer training
- ISM (International Safety Management) internal auditor training
- ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) standards for small craft training
- Knox Marine Yacht Insurance Claims Seminar
- First Marine Small Power Watercraft Damage & Claim Evaluation Seminar
Membership & Qualifications
- SAMS (Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors), AMS since 2003, member since 2000
- IAMI (International Association of Marine Investigators), CMI, Florida state coordinator
- INSB (International Naval Surveys Bureau), approved non-exclusive surveyor
- ISPS (International Ship and Port Facility Security) certified ship and company security officer
- ISM (International Safety Management) certified internal auditor
- ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) accredited in standards for small craft
- USCG master’s license, (not current)